- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp dry vermouth (optional)
- 32 ounce container vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a heavy saucepan, sauté the onion, celery and leek in the oil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 2 additional minutes – vegetables should be soft a lightly browned.
- Add the vermouth and the vegetable broth and simmer partially covered for 45 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the cream and warm for 2 minutes.
- Working in 2 batches, add the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute. ***Be sure to remove the small venting cap from the blender to allow steam to come out and place a kitchen towel to cover the opening. Return the pureed soup to a clean saucepan and gently heat for 2 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls.
Serves 6 as a starter or 4 as a main course.
Note: Dress the soup with a light drizzle of heavy cream for an elegant touch.