This comforting sauce is best served with rigatoni or gnocchi and would be delicious in a lasagna.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 3/4 pound ground beef (20% fat)
- 2-28 ounce can Italian-style tomatoes, chopped
- 1-6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken or veal broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp each, dry oregano and basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottom saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook until vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Increase medium-heat to high, add meats and sauté until no longer pink, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, broth and the spices and stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.
Notes: It’s fine to replace veal with beef if you prefer. You could use white wine instead of red wine. This sauce freezes very well, so feel free to double up the recipe!