- 3 one-pound bundles of fresh asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, chopped into 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 tsp. each dried thyme, ground nutmeg, salt and pepper
- 32 ounce container chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces sharp Vermont Cheddar cheese, grated, (like using Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, coat the asparagus with olive oil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until softened. Set aside for use later.
- Add the vegetable oil, the onion and the spices to a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted asparagus and the chicken stock to the onion mixture in the pot. Simmer partially covered for 15 minutes over medium-low heat. Add the cream and warm for 2 minutes.
- Working in two batches, add the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute. ***Be sure to remove the small venting cap from the blender to allow steam to come out and place a kitchen towel to cover the opening.
- Pour the pureed soup in a clean pot, add the cheese and gently warm over medium-low heat for 2 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted.
Serves 8 as a starter or 6 as a main course.
Note: Dress the soup with a light drizzle of heavy cream for an elegant touch.