1 recipe of Ghirardelli Dark Fudgy Brownies.
Ingredients for the chocolate mousse:
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, 60% – 70% cacao, chopped
- 7 Tbsp. butter
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
Ingredients for the glaze:
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, 60% – 70% cacao, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
Chocolate mousse directions:
- Microwave the chocolate and butter in a large bowl for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the clean bowl of an electric mixer, whip the egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add the sugar as you continue to whip to stiff peaks, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- In another bowl, whip the cream to medium-stiff peak stage.
- Combine the egg yolks, vanilla and salt in a small bowl. Add the egg yolk mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir to fully combine. Add the whipped egg whites to the chocolate mixture and fold gently to incorporate. Add the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture and fold gently until fully combined – do not over-combine or egg whites will deflate.
- Place two, (3-1/4-inch diameter and 1/2-cup capacity) silicone bombe molds on a large baking sheet.
- Unmold the brownies and place on a large cutting board. Using a biscuit cutter or a glass close to 3-1/4-inch in diameter, cut 10 brownie rounds.
- Spoon ¼ cup of mousse in each mold and spread it over the insides of the molds. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Press a brownie circle over the mousse in each mold. Cover the two molds with plastic wrap and freeze at least 12 hours or overnight.
- Unmold the frozen bombes on a wire rack. Place the wire rack over a baking sheet. Let the bombes thaw for 2 to 3 hours.
- Place the chocolate and the corn syrup in a medium heat-proof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until just boiling. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and set aside for 3 minutes. Whisk the mixture until smooth and transfer to a large measuring cup.
- Pour the glaze over the bombes to coat each one completely. Refrigerate the glazed bombes for at least 2 hours but not longer than 8 hours.
- Take the bombes out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
Makes 10 chocolate bombes.
Inspired by this recipe.