My brother-in-law, Etienne, enjoys experimenting in the kitchen and trying new dishes when at restaurants. I really love that about him! This past week, he decided to try one of those Buzzfeed’s Tasty video recipes for Spinach Dip Mozzarella Sticks. How great does that sound!!? It’s like two of my favorite appetizers in one!
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup cooked spinach, drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- Canola oil, for frying
- Marinara sauce for dipping, homemade or store-bought
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, spinach, mozzarella, salt, black pepper and garlic powder, stirring until thoroughly mixed. Transfer the cream cheese mixture to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread it. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the frozen spinach mixture onto a cutting board and peel off the parchment paper. Slice the block into 1-inch wide strips, then slice the strips in half into sticks.
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls. Dip the spinach dip sticks into the flour, then the eggs, then the breadcrumbs, then back into the eggs, and finally back into the breadcrumbs. Set the breaded sticks aside on a plate.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Fry the breaded sticks for about 30 seconds to a minute, until golden brown.
- Cool and serve with marinara sauce.