National Chocolate Mousse Day is today and thought I’d share a delicious, yet healthy, way to celebrate. While traditional mousse and pudding recipes often require large amounts of whipping cream and butter (delicious in many instances), using tofu provides a healthier alternative that’s still decadent in flavor.
- 1 package 14 oz. House Foods Soft Tofu
- ¾ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup of milk (can substitute coconut milk)
- ½ Tbsp. vanilla
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom (optional)
- Open the tofu package and strain water. Remove the tofu from package and pulse in blender until smooth, about 1 minute.
- With the stove on low, melt the chocolate chips and milk in a pot, stirring until smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tofu to the chocolate mixture and stir until completely incorporated. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom, if using.
- Quickly remove from heat and spoon in 4-6 individual cups. Cool completely then refrigerate until it becomes thick like a mousse, about 2 hours.
Notes: Add your own personal twist to this recipe by considering some of the suggestions below:
- Top the pudding with toasted slivered almonds or other nuts, coconut shavings, or cocoa powder
- Replace the 1 tsp. ground cardamom with ½ tsp. chili powder for a spicy Mexican Chocolate Mousse
- Add a little agave nectar for an even sweeter pudding