This soup is super simple to make and looks like it took all day to prepare. Dress the soup with a light drizzle of heavy cream for an elegant touch.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp dry sherry or Marsala
- 16 ounce can of beef broth
- 32 ounce can vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream + 6 tsp of heavy cream for garnish (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, sauté the onion and celery in the oil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the vegetables and stir mixture. Add thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until all the vegetables are softened.
- Add the sherry or Marsala, the beef and vegetable broth and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the 1/2 cup cream and heat up for 2 minutes.
- Working in 2 batches, add the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute. ***Be sure to remove the small venting cap from the blender to allow steam to come out and place a kitchen towel to cover the opening. Return the pureed soup to a clean saucepan and gently heat for 2 minutes.
- To serve, warm 6 tsp cream in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. Ladle soup into bowls then drizzle 1 tsp warmed cream onto the soup in each bowl (optional).
Serves 6 as a starter or 4 as a main course.
Note: Can’t find cremini? Replace with chopped portabella or white mushrooms. For extra richness, add 3-4 veal neck bones to the onion and celery when sauteeing.