First, the tasting room in Hammondsport, NY is vibrant with fun energy (did I mention we visited on Halloween weekend?). The staff, especially Colleen, is helpful and knows its pitch. During our tasting, Colleen ensured that we not only enjoyed the wines the winery’s famous for, but some of its less known stars.
Our tasting featured:
- First on the list was the Chateau Frank Célèbre ($19.99). Thought this Cremant-style sparkling wine was super. Riddled by hand and aged ‘sur lies’, this sparkling Riesling offers apple on the nose and tiny, creamy bubbles. Super enjoyable.
- Next came the 2009 Dry Riesling ($14.99) and the 2009 Semi-Dry Riesling ($14.99). The dry Riesling shows tart green apple on the nose and citrus, wet stone in the mouth. The semi-dry Riesling offers a mouthful of juicy ripe pear that lingers pleasantly on the finish.
- We then moved on to the 2008 Rkatsiteli ($17.99). This varietal that originated in Georgia, and is still popular in Eastern Europe, is known for its high level of acidity. To counteract this trait, Dr Frank adds some natural sugar to produce an enjoyable, balanced wine. The in-your-face tropical fruit palate and floral nose would be a good match to spicy food.
- We moved on to the 2009 Gewurztraminer ($17.99). Citrus fruit with subtle honey notes. Nice balance and level of acidity.
- We compared the 2007 Pinot Noir ($19.99) with the 2008 Salmon Run Pinot Noir ($13.99) next. the ’07 is an award-winning wine and shows beautiful purple hues in the glass, bright silky cherries in the mouth with a long dry finish. The ’08 isn’t as bold and bright and has more earthy qualities than the ’07.
- Finally, we sipped on the 2008 Salmon Run Meritage ($13.99). 54% Cabernet Franc/39.5% Cabernet Sauvignon/6.5% Merlot create this French oak barrel aged wine. Was described as a good match for pizza night, and it is. Nothing bold about this wine, just a neat choice for a casual meal.
Planning a Finger Lakes visit? Don’t miss Dr Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars situated in a beautiful area of Keuka Lake at:
9749 Middle Road
Hammondsport, NY 14840